Tuesday, September 4, 2012

chicken tetrazzini

Chicken tetrazzini has been in my life since elementary school. I went to a private school for 14 years (uniform & all) and had the same school chef for all of those years. Every week she would let me know of the upcoming meals, and would ask when I would like my favorite meal. Each time the tetrazzini was on the menu, I would be the little girl going back & back & back for more portions. Finally, my mother realized I had found my food soul-mate, cheesy & noodly....my soul-mate for sure. She realized the way to make me forever happy was to ask for the recipe. Finally, we received the answer to my foodie prayers. Ever since, I've tweaked it to make it easier & tastier...and today...I will share this glorious dish with you!



Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (1 lb)
1/2 cup panko or breadcrumbs
Salt & pepper
1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese


 Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking pan. Cut chicken breasts into strips in order to cook quicker. Dredge through flour and coat in panko or breadcrumbs.



2. Place on baking sheet, drizzle in olive oil & top with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Check until chicken is almost thoroughly-cooked (end product should be undercooked, as it will be cooked fully later).



 3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti until al dente. Strain & empty into lightly-greased pan.



4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour.


5. Mix in chicken broth, milk, oregano, and extra salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.

 

6. Stir in most of the parmesan cheese and remove from heat.


 7. Chop up chicken into bits and layer over spaghetti in pan.


 8. Pour liquid mixture over chicken & spaghetti. Mix around to ensure liquid seeps into all parts of the pan.


8. Sprinkle remainder of parmesan cheese & panko on top of the mixture.

 

9. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until crispy, browned & bubbly.



10. Serve and enjoy!



Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment