Sunday, September 16, 2012

farmstead table

The Newton culinary scene has a new contender. Just 6-weeks old, Farmstead Table is located right across the street from the Newton Centre T stop. The farm-to-table restaurant focuses on a fresh and clean preparation. With simple rustic decor, the restaurant is small to moderately sized and offers both lunch and dinner with an ever-changing menu. As of now, they do not have a website, but they do have a facebook page.


1
 

I started with the house cured salmon lox toast with pickled shallots with dill creme fraiche & baby greens.
 

 At just $11, this appetizer was big enough for 2 to share! Although very tasty & very filling, I could have done with a bit more cracked pepper (but I do LOVE cracked pepper, so maybe that's just me!). I chose the roast free-range chicken with parsnip puree, baby vegetables, and a thyme natural jus as my entree. I like to order chicken at restaurants, as it is a standard easy protein that just asks to be revved up with imagination. In my opinion, a good restaurant is dependent on how they are able to execute the smallest and simplest things, like chicken!

The parsnip puree was soft and delicious, while the vegetables remained crisp and fresh. The chicken was moist, but traditional. My dinner date had the special Eggplant Napolean which she reported was tasty. The best part of the evening was the dessert, almond cake with plum compote & vanilla ice cream.
 
 
 Nestled into mildly tight-corridors, we enjoyed a pleasant evening surrounded by simple farm decor of flowers and books about soil, plants, and farming techniques, reminded of the simple preparation of fresh food.
Farmstead Table on Urbanspoon
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment